The last few years, there have been a marked de-evolution of the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office. The agency as a whole is failing the citizens of Escambia County as well as the deputies it employs. I have asserted many times that the leadership of this agency has willingly and wantonly violated Florida Law. I have written posts on the illegal behavior by the ECSO Command Staff with respect to the treatment of employees. Examples of the leadership in the ECSO ignoring facts & evidence concerning illegal acts or behavior of employees have been numerous. Yet they still manage to accumulate more and more bad acts to add to their repertoire.
Nowadays, it is difficult to keep up with all the politics at the ECSO. Really no one should want too live in that world. The behavior of the Command Staff has become even more of an embarrassment across the state. There are too many jokes made about the lack of leadership, the dysfunction of management and not all are from officers. It has spilled out into the community.
Just to highlight, I have compiled the Top 5 joke worthy facts of the ECSO.
- David Morgan is not and has never been a cop. He has never completed any training that would allow him to function as a law enforcement officer in Florida. He has NEVER made an arrest of a suspect for a crime that he investigated.
- In 2016, Frank Forte filed a false complaint on an officer. During the Internal Affairs Investigation it was proven that Lt. Forte is a verified and documented liar. He lied under oath about an officers’ conduct. Shortly after he was exposed for being a liar, Lt. Forte was assigned to the OIC position of Internal Affairs. He now controls every investigation that ECSO is responsible for completing that involves improper officer conduct.
- Steve Cappas confessed to mishandling sensitive evidence that could involve child pornography a few months ago. Now, it is reasonable to assume that immediate attention was given to this revelation. But, in fact, that assumption is wrong. Lt. Cappas continues his daily routine, not having been disciplined for mishandling evidence, nor re-trained on evidentiary procedure. He, now, is busy spreading propaganda about those he feels is responsible for bringing his criminal acts to light. Cappas not only mishandled the evidence in the case, but in all likelihood, if we consider the preponderance of evidence, he destroyed evidence also. NOTE: During the time Cappas has avoided responsibility for possible criminal acts, there have been 3 other officers forced to leave the agency. One for simply cussing in a private setting. NONE HAVE BEEN ALLOWED DUE PROCESS!
- Chief Deputy Eric Haines was described by a federal Judge as being bias and having animus toward female employees. His recent conduct was captured on audio recording making threats to a female employee and her attorney. This audio recording is chilling especially considering the person refusing Due Process is a person that took an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States.
- The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office refuses to have a working relationship with ANY law enforcement agency. This should be alarming to all of us and why don’t they play well with other peace officers? What law enforcement leader would refuse the help of other agencies? Incompetence is the prime suspect; criminality is second runner up. That brings us to the biggest joke–Chief Deputy Eric Haines. Haines has cried and whined like a sleepy two-year-old about losing officers due to poor pay, and after receiving raises(that he withheld as a way to get deputies to open up their PBA contract to allow him to remove their rights), still cannot keep officers. As I have said for YEARS, the personnel shortage is because of the shortage of ability Haines displays as a law enforcement leader NOT low pay.
The people listed here are just a small sample of the corrupt individuals embedded inside the Morgan camp. There is more and more will be published until these individuals are no longer able to hamstring good, hardworking cops. None of those listed individuals have the integrity to admit wrong or admit not being capable to effectively perform their duties. The conduct they have displayed is criminal and they should be charged for the unlawful acts committed while in their official positions. The least that should occur is for the criminals destroying the agency to be removed and never allowed to present themselves as fraudulent law enforcement officers again.