In looking at the elements of this “well-planned” home invasion from Patrick’s perspective would any of us do the the following things:
1. Use a mentally unstable, chemically dependent father as any part of the crime. A man that will crack under pressure and who has been willingly absent the majority of his son’s life. Highly suggestible and paranoid, he believes everyone is “after him”.
2. Use a pieced together 1979, 1982, & 1986 Dodge van without brakes or reverse, as a good “getaway” vehicle.
3. Commit a crime with knowledge of surveillance cameras that are not deactivated.
4. Tell a number of people about the crime prior to committing it, knowing that gossip spreads like wildfire in Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
5. Use 4 people out of 8 that were strangers whose trustworthiness had NOT been established nor were they close friends. Gary Sumner knew Pat for 3 weeks. He introduced him to Donnie Stallworth, Rakeem Florence & Frederick Thornton. Not knowing these guys from Adam, give them guns, tell them secrets and expect the kids to be able keep from cracking.
6. Allowing a known addict, Wayne Coldiron, be involved. He is a strung-out addict. Coldiron tells everyone Patrick did this and he was with him. Right off the bat. Just a bit too easy.
7. Putting as many people as possible in a house at one time. The chaos and the number of people exponentially increases the chances of leaving evidence behind as well as having someone crack.
8. Shooting 2 people that could have been easily incapacitated without a weapon. As someone who has been trained from childhood to defend themselves with their body, who trained people to fight back against any size attacker, going in solo to “take care” of the adults would have been the way to go and then bring others in after or as needed. This would lessen the liability to the one person we can all trust above all others–ourselves.
The vehicle and 6 unpredictable people entering into this plot would be absurdly ridiculous for a well thought out plan. Unless the plan was to have the people entering the house get caught….
This is the worst devised plan ever! Especially for Patrick. He was arrogant and a big talker, but he is intelligent. When you lay this all out, who would be dumb enough to go into this? The one person he trusts–Pam Long Wiggins–is just as screwed as he is. Her hubby, Hugh blames everything on the 2 of them.