In November of 2001, getting into the car to take the kids to school, I kept hearing a cry. A cat crying.  I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from.  I initially thought this isn’t a distress sound but I continued to hear it as when I came home.  The sound was coming from our neighbors carport.  Our neighbor Willie, a nice man, was in jail for something.  No one at his home.   I just couldn’t figure out where the kitty cries were coming from.  I finally realized the sound was coming from the bottom of a hollowed out column in the carport.  A cat had fallen into this open column. I called my husband at work and he said “What do you want me to do?”.  Frustrated, I hung up.  I called Animal Control. I explained the situation.  The response I got was “M’am, if it isn’t your property, we can’t help you.  We need consent from the homeowner.”

Really?   The cries were getting fainter and fainter.  I was crying uncontrollably.  I wished my dad was there. He’d know what to do. Then it hit me I just ran into one of my dad’s friends the other day.  He lives close by.   I called him.  He was on his way out the door to head to work.  I told him my problem.  He came over.  By this time, I was on a chair throwing ham into the column to the kitty to let him know I was there & I was working on getting him out.  After realizing that he’s in a 7 ft hole with a couple of inches space above the opening, my dad’s buddy made what looked like a noose.   He threw it down.  He ended up pulling him up by the neck.  The cat was huge, but skinny.  I hadn’t seen him in the neighborhood before.  There were alot of kitties around but I had never seen him.  When he came out I watched to see if he went to his home.  He followed me. He was dirty & scrawny.  You could feel his ribs. I took him to the vet. The vet said he appears healthy but he may have given up.  He explained that if the cat has decided it was his time, no amount of medicine would help him.  He told me to take him home & love him.  If he eats, drinks & grooms, then you know he’s ok.   This was such a bizarre concept to me.  For a few days, Chris & I slept with him in between us.  He had been eating and drinking a little but no grooming.  On about the 3rd day, he woke up; he ate, drank, went into a grooming frenzy.   He wanted to live.

A year ago, we took him to the vet because he’s a big cat & he was losing weight.  They told us his kidney & liver function was just about gone. He had maybe 2-3 months.  After that, he bounced back and although he was skinny, he played, loved, ate, drank & groomed.  A few days ago, he stopped eating, today he stopped drinking. Today is the day he has chosen to die.

I love you Tigger!  I will miss you so much!  My heart hurts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.